Physiotherapy Core Stability Classes
Sale, Victoria & Gerringong, South Coast
The core series are gentle group exercise classes that combine the practices of Pilates, mindfulness and foam rolling to bring awareness to our bodies, build strength and stability, promote flexibility and improve the mind-body connection.
About the classes
The ‘core series’ physiotherapy classes are led by our experienced physiotherapists who bring their knowledge of pelvic floor health, physiotherapy, mindfulness and Pilates-based core strengthening to help their clients achieve better physical and mental outcomes, and ultimately lead a more meaningful and fulfilled life.The classes are ideal for pre and post natal health as well as general core conditioning.
The classes are a fusion of traditional mat-work Pilates based exercises, balance, foam roller releases and strengthening, core stability, stretching and mindfulness. A foam roller is essential for participating in various exercises throughout the class. You are welcome to bring your own long foam roller, purchase or hire a long foam roller for the class.
In addition to our classes, Calm & Connection Physiotherapy also offer small group sessions for up to 6 people as well as individualised Pilates based, recovery and return to work programs.
Our physiotherapists are trained with the Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute and are registered physiotherapists and members of the Australian Physiotherapy Association, The Continence Foundation of Australia and Women’s Health Training Associates. Read more about our team.
Mindful Core Group Class
This class includes a short mindfulness meditation component at the end of each class to improve mental well-being.
This class is suitable for pregnancy, chronic pain and injury rehabilitation.
Active Core Group Class
Active Core uses a combination of exercise physiology, foam rolling and Pilates principles to enhance core strategies, balance, release and strength based exercises.
This class is suitable for pregnancy, chronic pain and injury rehabilitation.
- Classes operate in Sale, Victoria & Gerringong, NSW. For upcoming times and locations please email email@example.com or contact us here.
There are a maximum of 12 people per class. This is to ensure your instructor can make sure the exercises you are doing are safe for you, that your medical or health conditions are monitored, and to provide individual feedback and guidance during the class so that you get the most out of every session. If the class is fully booked please contact us to be placed on the waiting list.
- Full starter class package (new client) including foam roller & 1 x physiotherapy consultation & 10 week program: $285
- Starter class package (new client), including 1 x physiotherapy consultation & 10 week program (NO FOAM ROLLER): $240
- Continuing client term pass (10 weeks): $165
- Continuing client term pass (10 weeks) + Long foam roller $210
- Single class session: $21
- Long foam roller: $59
- Long foam roller hire: $5 per session
- Due to our small class size, 6 hours notice is required for all cancellations.
- Small group, individualised sessions (2-6 people): $165 per group (1 hour)
- Individual sessions: $97 (1 hour )
- Health Fund rebates available for eligible health funds!!!! [Read about the 2018 Pilates-health insurance reforms here]
Spaces are limited so bookings are essential.
To secure your place, please call 0497 098 881 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your booking is confirmed, you may like to print and complete our Registration Form to bring to your first class. If you are pregnant please also complete the PARmed-X for pregnancy questionnaire, including section C.
Do I need to come for a 1:1 consultation before I start core stability classes?
The 1:1 consultation enables your physiotherapist to ensure you are safe doing the exercises, check you have the correct muscle activation pattern and help you understand and practice the basics of core stability prior to starting your class so that you can get the most out of the class.
What fitness level do I need to participate core stability classes?
What do I need to bring to my core stability class?
If I have an active injury or medical condition, can I still participate in core stability class?
I am pregnant. Is it safe for me to participate in core stability classes?
If you suffer from heart disease in pregnancy, restrictive lung disease in pregnancy, incompetent cervix, are at risk of premature labour, persistent second or third trimester bleeding, placenta previa, premature labour, ruptured membranes or preeclampsia, you should not participate in core stability exercise classes.
If you have a complex or high risk pregnancy, please do not hesitate to discuss it further with your instructor.
How long after childbirth should I wait before participating in core stability classes?
Benefits of Pilates
Founded by Joseph Pilates during World War I, Pilates is consistently endorsed by medical and fitness specialists around the world as a means to improve physical conditioning, recover from injury or illness, and boost general health.
- Improves muscle tone, strength and coordination, making everyday life easier
- Builds strength and coordination of pelvic floor muscles for bladder and bowel health
- Helps prevent injury and chronic pain
- Helps build and maintain spinal health and good posture
- Provides clarity of mind and boosts self confidence
- Improves flexibility and boosts circulation
- Enhances balance and endurance
Benefits of mindfulness
Mindfulness is the art of focusing your awareness, on purpose, to the present moment, without judgement, and with compassion, and curiosity (Kabat-Zinn, 2012). The practice is gaining increasing attention as a way to improve health and wellbeing, with research supporting its use in treating anxiety, stress, depression, chronic pain and as a complimenting therapy for sufferers of cancer and multiple sclerosis (Bardacke, 2012).
- Regular meditation stimulates the immune system
- Strengthens the mind-body connection, giving awareness to posture, body position and muscle engagement
- Decreases anxiety, depression and irritability
- Increases memory and mental stamina
- Relationships become clearer and more fulfilling
- Reduces key indicators of chronic pain
- Suffering associated with pain or injury can be reduced, as the mind-body connection is strengthened
It empowered me.
I now know how very fortunate I was to be able to participate in both group and individual sessions of mindfulness core stability classes. It empowered me as I was given essential tools to help continue with my own sessions at home.
I love Pilates.
I love my core stability class. I always leave my classes knowing exactly how to complete the moves, what I should feel when I am doing them and which area they are strengthening or stretching. Even better, I get fit and have a fun time while doing so.
I was very fortunate to be able to do Pilates classes with Julia.
I now know how very fortunate I was to be able to participate in both group and individual sessions of mindfulness core stability classes with Julia. It empowered me as I was given essential tools to help continue with my own sessions at home.
I cannot recommend Julia highly enough.
I love Pilates with Julia. She is such a knowledgeable practitioner who uses her extensive physiotherapy skills to create Pilates classes that target and improve key areas. I always leave Julia’s classes knowing exactly how to complete the moves, what I should feel when I am doing them and which area they are strengthening or stretching. Even better, I get fit and have a fun time while doing so.
I recommend it for all women after child birth.
I thought my body had recovered from child birth and that everything was fine. I returned to exercise including jogging. A few people questioned me about whether it as too soon post birth. I started to worry that I could cause myself damage in the long run so had an assessment with Julia to put my mind at ease. The assessment was thorough and professional. I recommend it for all women after child birth.